THE APPRAISAL PROCESS
An appraisal of your home, assets, antiques or family heirlooms will arm you with the knowledge of knowing what you own, what you have inherited and how much it is worth.
A.H. Wilkens provides appraisals on personal property, estate or probate and family division and for insurance purposes. As appraisers we often see beautiful items such as silver, art glass, ceramics, Moorcroft pottery, furniture, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean arts, Canadian and international fine art and vintage costume and estate jewellery.
We suggest that you begin the appraisal process by speaking with one of our specialists, in person or by phone in one of our three offices located in Toronto and Oakville, Ontario. This will help to determine what type of items you are looking at having valued and what type of valuation you need.
1. We begin the auction process with a discussion between the seller and one of our knowledgeable specialists. This helps to determine the type of valuation required and the best avenues to achieve this.
2. Appraisals for a few items can be achieved by emailing digital images or a gallery visit. Remember to include overall photos of an object and details of marks or signatures. It’s always best to pre-book a gallery visit with a specialist for maximum return. Emails and gallery visits are complimentary.
3. For the valuation of full estates, homes and collections we recommend a house visit. One of our specialists will meet the family at the property in question to provided a room by room written evaluation to include but not limit the fine art, furniture, smalls including silver and porcelain, jewellery and decorations. If a written valuation is not needed or time does not permit, a verbal overview is provided.
4. Following the valuation, we can facilitate as much as required. We work with professional organizers, elder care consultants and reputable movers to make sure the transition is a smooth as possible. In addition to the move to our auction house, we often facilitate moves to new locations, disposals and donation runs.
5. We often suggest our “Peace of Mind” coverage. For large estates having a specialist onsite the day of the move can help to make the process run smoothly. For large, older estates it means that any new found items are dealt with appropriately.
6. All goods are brought into either our downtown Toronto location or our downtown Oakville location and inventoried so that consignments are properly managed and kept up to date. All items from a consignment are kept within the location committed.
Appraisals On-site, In-store or by Email
A small appraisal of a handful of items can be done with images by email or a drop in appointment. For larger collections and estates an A.H. Wilkens specialist will visit a home or institution and provide a full written or verbal appraisal. Standard industry rates apply for onsite appraisals.
Please Provide Details on Your Item Below: